Macaroons are a North-American all-time classic dessert made with shredded coconut and chocolate. Not to be confused with the also world-famous French macarons, those elegant meringue sandwich cookies. Maybe we’ll share a keto recipe for them another jour ;)
Today we’re going to show you how to make a yummy bunch of macaroons, moist on the inside and crumbly on the outside. Well, a keto and healthier version of them: sugar-free, low-carb, gluten-free and rich in healthy fats.
For this recipe, we used our Funky Fat Choc Coconut, which is very low in carbs and super creamy. Our keto chocolates are made with clean organic ingredients, so you don’t need to worry about sneaky carbs or additives.
You’ll also need coconut flakes, eggs and ghee or coconut oil. If you have a sweet-tooth you can optionally add a tablespoon or two of erythritol, but believe us when we say that the final chocolate bath gives the macaroons just the perfect sweet taste.
Sounds easy, right? Let’s cook these delicious little bites!
What are the net carbs of this keto macaroons recipe?
This recipe contains 8.5g of net carbs. That means only 0.85g net carbs per macaroon (if you make 10). But beware that this also depends on the brands and which ingredients you are going to use. To be sure, you can make this calculation at home. It's super simple. If you don't know how to calculate net carbs, check this article where we explain how.
Tip: Our keto dark chocolate bar with coconut has only 2.5 net carbs. If you use pure erythritol as sweetener, remember you don't need to count the carbs from erythritol.
Keto chocolate macaroons
Ingredients (9-10 macaroons)
- 150g of unsweetened coconut flakes
- 2 organic eggs
- 2 tablespoons of melted ghee or coconut oil
- 1 melted Funky Fat Choc Coconut bar (50g)
- Optional: 1 tbsp of erythritol
- Take a large bowl and mix the coconut flakes, the eggs and the melted ghee or coconut. Stir it well with a spoon for a little bit.
- When you see the mixture’s looking good, use your hands to shape the macaroons. Put the little ones on a baking sheet making sure they’re spacing about one inch apart.
- Bake in the oven at 180ºC for 20-25 minutes until they look golden and crispy. Let them cool for a bit. While you wait, you can start melting the chocolate bar.
- Break the bar into small pieces and put it in a bowl. If you have a microwave, you can use it but be careful not to overheat them. 20 seconds will be enough. If you’re not going to use a microwave, put the bowl in a pot au Bain Marie and stir until it melts.
- Now, take the cooled macaroons and dip them in the melted chocolate, so you give them a good bath on one half. Put them in a plate and let them cool again so the chocolate sticks to the cookie.
Before you know it, you’re going to be delighted by your own home made keto macaroons. Try having them with a big mug of coffee or tea. Delish!
Other recipes you might enjoy doing: