Disclaimer: This recipe was created by Simona from @trustnocarb as well as the accompanied images.
Mole (pronounced Moh-lay) is a traditional sauce prepared in Mexico (and it’s also the national dish!). The taste it’s very particular and authentic: sweet and spicy flavours combine amazingly.
There are many kinds of mole in Mexico. Every place and family has its own method and different ingredients.
The traditional method takes an entire day to make. Don’t worry: with your blender, and our shortcuts, you will have your mole sauce in less than 30 minutes!
This recipe may not be 100% traditional, but it’s easy to make, so you can add a pinch of Mexico to your table!
The sauce itself is sugar-free, keto, gluten-free and suitable for vegetarians and vegans.
- 1 bar of Funky Fat Choc Dark (50 g)
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 half small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small jalapeño, chopped
- 1 spoon of oil, to cook
- 1 tablespoon of lightly toasted sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder to taste (more, for more spiciness)
- 200 ml of vegetable broth
- 1 spoon tomato sauce
- 1 spoon almond butter
- 1 spoon peanut butter
- 1 star anise
- 1 tablespoon brown Erythritol
- Salt, to taste
- In a saucepan, sauté the garlic, the onion and the jalapeño.
- Add the dried spices, and stir well.
- Cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and, slowly, add the stock.
- Puree the mix of broth and spices, with an immersion blender (careful, it’s hot liquid!).
- Transfer back the pureed mixture to the saucepan.
- In the meantime, melt a tablet of Dark Funky Fat Foods in a water bath.
- Add the remaining ingredients: tomato sauce, nut butters, star anise, Erythritol and salt.
- Add the melted chocolate, and whisk until evenly combined
- Simmer until the sauce thickens
- Taste and add any extra other ingredients as needed
- Serve warm.
We suggest sprinkling extra sesame seeds above the sauce.
You can enjoy this sauce in many ways:
- On top of chicken or beef meat
- Above steamed and grilled veggies
- With scrambled eggs
The mole sauce keeps well in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. You can freeze it in small portions for up to 3 months.
We hope you will love this easy, sugar-free, keto Mole sauce.
Other recipes you might enjoy: