Looks like a cocktail but it's not. It's better!
If you're following a low carb or keto lifestyle you may already know the importance of recharging your electrolytes. This is definitely our favourite electrolyte drink recipe. Not only because it's delicious - but because we've added apple cider vinegar to the mix. That alone already brings amazing extra health benefits.
The whole idea of drinking salty water may sound a bit ugh, right? But this mix of lemon juice, sparkling water and apple cider vinegar makes it taste so much better. At least we think so.
What are electrolytes?
Common electrolytes are magnesium, calcium, sodium and potassium. When you are following a low carb, keto lifestyle, your body changes how it handles electrolytes and water. A lot of it is excreted in the urine, which can cause electrolyte imbalance and dehydration.
That's why it's important to increase your electrolyte intake. By doing so you will also avoid the keto flu. The keto flu is a series of flu-like symptoms you can experience on keto due to this electrolyte imbalance. Some of the symptoms are headaches, constipation and dizziness. There is a wide misconception that this is 'part of keto'. But it isn't. It can be avoided if you add electrolytes to your meal plan and drink enough water as well.
There are many delicious food sources of electrolytes that you can enjoy, like:
- Himalayan or Sea Salt (Sodium)
- Nuts (Potassium and Magnesium)
- Dark Chocolate - like our Funky Fat Chocolates (Magnesium)
- Dark Leafy green veggies ( Potassium, Calcium and Magnesium)
- Avocado (Potassium)
- Almond and Coconut Milk (Calcium)
For this recipe, we use Himalayan Salt, which is rich in sodium but also has traces of other minerals like magnesium and potassium. Salt is a very important mineral as it helps retain water and maintain the balance of electrolytes.
Why Apple Cider Vinegar?
Apple cider vinegar is not only great on salads but also on a refreshing healthy drink. There are many proven health benefits for apple cider vinegar:
- It can aid with weight loss
- Improve skin health
- Help lower blood sugar levels
- When taken before meals, it can improve indigestion
But don't get too excited and start pouring apple cider vinegar on everything. The most recommended dosage is 1-2 tablespoon per day before or after a meal.
Keto Electrolyte Summer Drink
- 2 tbsp of lemon or lime juice
- 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar with mother (unpasteurized)
- 1 tsp of sea salt or Himalayan salt
- 1 cup of sparkling water
- Optional: your favourite sweetener to taste
P.S. Other things you could add to this drink is mint, ginger, or rosemary. Whatever you think tastes amazing. Don't be afraid to be creative. Electrolytes are important but so are your taste buds. If you don't like it, you won't love to drink it every day, right?!
- Pour it all in a shaker and shake it till all the ingredients are combined.
- Add an extra slice of lemon and enjoy it by the pool - or by the lunchroom in the office.
Hope you will enjoy this recipe this summer and don't forget to Stay Hydrated!