Disclaimer: This recipe and the accompanying images were created by Simona Zucca from @trustnocarb
Mole (pronounced Moh-lay) is a traditional sauce prepared in Mexico (and it’s also the national dish!). The taste it’s very particular and authentic: sweet and spicy flavours combine amazingly.
- 1 bar of Funky Fat Choc Dark (50 g)
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 half small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small jalapeño, chopped
- 1 spoon of oil, to cook
- 1 tablespoon of lightly toasted sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder to taste (more, for more spiciness)
- 200 ml of vegetable broth
- 1 spoon tomato sauce
- 1 spoon almond butter
- 1 spoon peanut butter
- 1 star anise
- 1 tablespoon brown Erythritol
- Salt, to taste
- In a saucepan, sauté the garlic, the onion and the jalapeño.
- Add the dried spices, and stir well.
- Cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and, slowly, add the stock.
- Puree the mix of broth and spices, with an immersion blender (careful, it’s hot liquid!).
- Transfer back the pureed mixture to the saucepan.
- In the meantime, melt a tablet of Dark Funky Fat Foods in a water bath.
- Add the remaining ingredients: tomato sauce, nut butters, star anise, Erythritol and salt.
- Add the melted chocolate, and whisk until evenly combined
- Simmer until the sauce thickens
- Taste and add any extra other ingredients as needed
- Serve warm.
We suggest sprinkling extra sesame seeds above the sauce.
You can enjoy this sauce in many ways:
- On top of chicken or beef meat
- Above steamed and grilled veggies
The mole sauce keeps well in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. You can freeze it in small portions for up to 3 months.
We hope you will love this easy, sugar-free, keto Mole sauce.