MCT oil, a recurring topic in our blog, holds the key to elevated energy, accelerated fat burning, and a thriving healthy keto lifestyle. We have several articles talking about MCTs and even a page dedicated to this functional ingredient and there’s a reason for it. In this article, we'll explore the wonders of MCTs, unveil why MCT oil is a fat-burning champion, delve into the benefits of C8 MCT oil, and present you with creative ways to enjoy the goodness of MCT oil daily.
What are MCT Oils?
MCT stands for medium-chain triglycerides, which are a type of fatty acids (or fat). Found in dietary supplements, MCT oils contain these medium-chain fatty acids, which stand apart from long-chain fatty acids, more commonly encountered in our diet. MCTs contain between 6 to 12 carbon atoms in their fatty acid chains, whereas long-chain fatty acids have over 12 carbon atoms. This structural difference affects how MCTs are metabolized in the body.
MCT oils are typically derived from coconut oil or palm kernel oil, which are rich sources of MCTs (our is extracted from coconuts). There are different types of MCTs, each with a different number of carbon atoms in their fatty acid chains. The most common types of MCTs found in MCT oil supplements are:
- C6: Caproic Acid or Hexanoic Acid - The shortest chain MCT. It has a strong taste and odor and is usually not the dominant MCT in MCT oil supplements due to its potential digestive side effects.
- C8: Caprylic Acid or Octanoic Acid - One of the most desirable MCTs due to its fast absorption and efficient conversion into ketones.
- C10: Capric Acid or Decanoic Acid - This MCT is readily converted into ketones. It provides a slower release of energy compared to C8 MCTs. Like C8, C10 MCTs are often included in MCT oil supplements.
- C12: Lauric Acid or Dodecanoic Acid - Lauric acid is technically considered a long-chain fatty acid, but it is sometimes included in discussions about MCTs. Coconut oil is a rich source of lauric acid, and some MCT oil supplements contain a mixture of MCTs that includes C12.
Fun Fact, on our chocolates we use MCT Oil types C8 and C10! You’re welcome.
Is MCT Oil Fat-burning?
Absolutely! MCT oil supports fat burning effectively. It is rapidly absorbed by the body and broken down to be used as energy. MCT oil (especially C8 MCT oil) has been associated with potential fat-burning effects, and it's important to understand the context and limitations this may involve. MCTs have certain properties that can support weight management and potentially contribute to fat burning in specific circumstances. Three factors contribute to MCT oil's fat-burning prowess:
- Increased Ketone Production: MCTs are rapidly absorbed and can be converted into ketones by the liver. Ketones are molecules that can be used as an alternative energy source to glucose. When the body is in a state of ketosis, it relies more on fat for energy, which contributes to fat burning.
- Enhanced Energy Expenditure: MCTs have been suggested to increase energy expenditure or thermogenesis, which is the amount of energy the body uses to digest, absorb, and metabolize food. This increase in energy expenditure may also support weight management and fat burning.
- Appetite Control: MCTs have been shown to promote feelings of fullness or satiety, which can help in controlling food intake. By reducing appetite and promoting satiety, MCT oil may indirectly contribute to weight management and potentially support fat loss.
While MCT oil offers incredible benefits, it's essential to remember that it's not a magical weight loss solution. The overall impact of MCT on fat burning and weight management depends on a balanced approach, including a healthy lifestyle, a low-carb or keto diet, and regular workouts.
Benefits of C8 MCT oil
The advantages of daily MCT oil use are undeniable yet it’s all about picking the right one for you and your body. Opting for C8 MCT oil presents an array of benefits due to its fast conversion, yielding more energy and benefits faster because your body will spend less time and energy converting MCT molecules into ketones.
1- Increased Ketone Production
C8 MCTs are quickly converted into ketones by the liver, which can be used as an alternative energy source to glucose. Efficient conversion into ketones supports ketogenic diet, elevating ketone production for energy.
2- Quick and Sustained Energy
As we’ve mentioned, C8 MCTs are rapidly absorbed and metabolized providing a readily available source of energy. This rapid absorption and metabolism provide readily available fuel for the brain and muscles.
3-Antimicrobial properties and gut health
Caprylic acid, the main component of C8 MCT oil, is believed to possess antimicrobial properties. By consuming it on a daily basis you’ll keep harmful bacteria in check while maintaining a gut balance.,
Ketones produced from C8 MCTs can be used by the brain as an alternative energy source. This has led to claims that C8 MCT oil may support cognitive function and mental clarity. Some individuals report improved focus and concentration after consuming C8 MCT oil. Also, by improving your gut health, you’ll also have a better chance to have greater mental clarity and memory.
5- Appetite Control and Weight Management
Healthy fats like MCTs promote feelings of fullness and satiety. Also, since they make you feel full for a longer period of time, they curb cravings and reduce overeating, helping you in your weight management journey.
Ways to use MCT oil
MCT oil is really easy to use and you can add it almost to everything. Here are some ideas on where you can add your favorite C8 MCT oil to:
- Your morning coffee. Start your day with a bulletproof coffee for the right energy boost.
- Your salads. Enhance salad dressings with MCT oil for a healthy twist.
- Pre and Post-Workout Smoothies: Add one serving of C8 MCT oil to your pre and post-workout drinks to elevate performance.
- Snacks and sweets. If you want to add MCT oil into your diet in a different way, try our Funky Fat Chocs for a unique way to enjoy MCTs to make them more functional while staying energized and satisfied.